For enrolment: language certificate at least level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- Certificate of the Goethe-Institute B1 or
- European Certificate B1 or
- UniCert I or
- a comparable language certificate
The following language certificates are accepted:
- Goethe certificate
- UNI Cert
- ÖSD certificate
In addition, language certificates according to the European Framework of Reference are also accepted by language schools that have recognized quality management certificates.
A list of recognized language schools can be found here
A list of recognized quality certificates for language courses can be found here
Students at the HfM Dresden who have received admission subject to proof of German language skills can take part in the language course offered at the HfM Dresden. Studies can only be continued in the second semester if the German exam at the HfM Dresden has been passed at the required level or, alternatively, a language certificate has been submitted according to the criteria listed above.
A video file must be uploaded with the application documents. The video must be designed as follows:
- 15-20 minute video with three pieces from the JRP area
- the pieces can be recorded with a band or playalong
- one of the 3 pieces can be your own composition.
Please record the video from a fixed perspective (do not move the camera). You can use a smartphone or a professional camera to record. Please pay attention to a good sound. You can also record with microphones. You and your fellow players (if there are any) must be easy to see. Your hands in particular must be clearly visible (for piano and strings). At the beginning of the video, introduce yourself and say your program, looking at the camera. You have to speak German.
You can play each piece individually, and you can also cut between the pieces and the introduction. Please combine videos of different pieces into one video, if that is possible. Image and sound must be recorded at the same time, the use of a separate audio recording device is recommended.
- Proof of technical, rhythmic, melodic and harmonic abilities and experience, corresponding to the individual instrument (scales, chord arpeggios, jazz phrasing, rhythmic reliability, seqences, chord progressions e.g. II-V-I, rhythm changes, blues)
- Performance of two stilistically distinct pieces from the area of Jazz/Rock/Pop with improvisations, backing/accompaniment according to the individual instrument
- Performance of a self-created transcription and of an written score etude piece
- If possible an original composition or self-created arrangement of a freely chosen piece
- If possible a freely chosen classical piece
- Elementary sight-reading
The duration is approx. 15-20 mintes.
The examination program has to be provided in written form.
Accompaniment can be provided via a rhythm section of the Hochschule (dr, b, p or g; sheet material has to be brought) or your own formation.
Besides a good musical and instrumental educational background, genre-specific feeling as well as flexibility when playing with the ensemble is expected.
Artistic presentation (10 minutes) of two to three easy pieces, at least two of them of different styles and including performance of a self chosen jazz standard as leadsheet. Major and minor chords and scales.
Music Theory/Aural Training:
- General Music Theory
- Basic knowledge of modal and functional analysis, jazz-specific chord symbols and phrases, also in staff notation
- Aural Traning: Listening test with intervals, scales, jazz chords, melodies and rythms
The applicant can be subjected to a short oral exam (ca. 5 minutes) regarding the above mentioned questions, if the tester deems this necessary. The exam might also include singing sight-reading.
You can download a short sample test for self-review: